The Alen T500 is a tower-style air purifier. Although not as tall as a tower fan, it’s slimmer than the competition so storage and location shouldn’t be a problem.
Among the Alen air purifiers sold on the market, the T500 is the lightest, weighing only 9 lbs. And although it’s devoid of WhisperMax Technology – a feature that promises a whisper-quiet operation – it only produces up to 56 dB of noise on its highest setting.
Let’s ask the big question: Should you get the Alen T500? What are its pros and cons? Let’s help you supply the answers in this Alen T500 tower air purifier review.
Key Features of the Alen T500
Let’s start this review by highlighting the Alen T500’s key features. Here’s a list.
The main selling point of the T500 is its portability. As advertised, this tower air purifier is designed with this intention in mind. The compact size of the T500 allows you to easily fit it into tight spaces, and if you’d like to bring it with you when you travel, you can freely do so.
NOTE: There is a travel bag made for the Alen T500, but you should purchase it separately.
The Alen T500 comes with a filter called the HEPA-Pure. After several months (up to 12 months), you’ll need to replace this with the same type of filter, or one of three other filter options offered by Alen.
Overall, you’ll have 4 filter options to choose from: HEPA-Pure, HEPA-Fresh, HEPA-Silver and HEPA-Odorcell. Each of these filters is designed to serve a specific purpose.
For instance, the HEPA-Pure is Alen’s “standard filter,” which targets dust and allergens such as mold spores and pollen. The HEPA-Fresh is ideal for eliminating kitchen odors and light chemical concerns.
Nope, the Alen T500 doesn’t come with the WhisperMax Technology, but it produces up to 56 dB of noise/sound when set on high. For your reference, a typical conversation is about 60 dB.
The T500 has 3 speed settings. Here are the speeds with their corresponding noise levels.
- Speed 1: 42 dB
- Speed 2: 47 dB
- Speed 3: 56 dB
Other Features and Technical Specs
- Weight: 9 lbs.
- Product Dimensions: 22″ x 6″ x 10″ (HxWxD)
- Coverage Area: 500 sq. ft.
- Colors Available: Black, silver and white
- Filter Change Indicator: Filter Light – Based on Run Time & Fan Speed
- 12-hour timer
- With ionizer
Also read: Rabbit Air BioGS SPA-625A vs MinusA2 SPA-780A
Consumer Feedback: Pros and Cons
In this part of our Alen T500 tower air purifier review, we give you a summary of its pros and cons, based on previous buyers’ comments and feedback posted on a popular online retailer.
- Filters. One, the filters are indeed easy to install. How effective are the filters in removing odor, allergens, mold spores, and other particles in the air? The general consensus is that they seem to work as promised. One person, for instance, has observed that her dog used to have allergic reactions to mold inside the house, but with the Alen T500, the dog shows these reactions only when outdoors. As for cooking odors, the filters are gone in 30 minutes. When it comes to pet hair, the pre-filter is very much capable in trapping and collecting pet hair and other larger-sized particles. They also collect dust and soot, so make sure to check your filters every once in a while especially if you live near a construction area.
- Allergies. The Alen T500 seems to work for allergies. According to one buyer, her nose isn’t as “stuffed up” like it was without this tower air purifier. Other people also share the same observation, saying that they breathe better with this air purifier.
- Noise. Although not all people agree, the general consensus is that this air purifier is quiet.
- Although the four filter options give you a variety of choices, they’re not a True HEPA filter. Plus, they’re expensive.
- If you’re looking for a US-made air purifier, this is not one of them. It’s made in China.
- Nope, it doesn’t come with an oscillation feature.
- It doesn’t come with a remote control. You’ll have to manually make the adjustments using the control panel on the unit. (See image on the right.)
Also read: Rabbit Air MinusA2 Review (SPA-780A) Air Purifier
Our Recommendation: Alen T500 Tower Air Purifier Review
Should you get the Alen T500? Let’s end this Alen T500 tower air purifier review with this recommendation.
The Alen T500 not only has a slim and small footprint, but based on buyer feedback and comments, it works in alleviating symptoms of allergies. Even dogs who are allergic to molds can find this useful. However, there are some limitations that you may want to consider. One of the most important is that the filters are not True HEPA. Get the Alen T500 here.